This church occupies the original temple lot dedicated by Joseph Smith and his followers in 1831. The stone markers are displayed in the church's Visitors Center, which seats 40. The current church was built in 1990.
Independence is the location of the international headquarters for the Community of Christ. The Community of Christ headquarters complex comprises the Auditorium and Temple. Highlighting the Temple, completed in 1993, are a 1,600 seat sanctuary and a 102-rank, 5,700-pipe organ built by Casavant Freres Limitee.
Tours present the basic beliefs of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, including the teachings of Jesus about the purpose of life and the importance of families, and the history of the Mormon pioneers in Missouri. Paintings, museum and A/V presentations.